Monday 3 September 2018

Fandom, Memes and Free Cake* - Amechibi 2015

It's been a good few years, but since the last time I posted a link to something fan studies-related I had done, I've run a few more talks and panels, so I figured I should update with those!

First is "Fandom, Memes and Free Cake*", a not-really-related-to-my-study panel I ran at Amechibi in April 2015. I find meme culture terribly interesting and thought this would be a fun topic to cover in a con setting, combining some actual academic discussion with the kind of irreverence that is entirely appropriate for meme culture.

The room was packed, which was a great result, though I did slightly worry that there might not be enough cake to go around... yes, despite the meme that says the cake is always a lie, I double-bluffed everyone and provided cake at the end! Well, it was my birthday after all...

Many thanks to Tom at Team Neko for filming the panel and putting it up online.


Once I finish my MPhil I'm toying with the idea of revisiting this at a future con, and possibly writing a book. We shall see...!

No comments:

Post a Comment